Professional licensed in another jurisdiction

General procedure

If you are licensed to practice professional geology in another jurisdiction and you wish to practice in Québec, please select the appropriate procedure for your situation as per the following:

  1. You are licensed as a professional geologist, geophysicist or geoscientist in Canada: proceed as per Member of a Canadian professional association.
  2. You are licensed in the USA (State Board member of ASBOG), Italy (CNG), South Africa (SACNASP) or Spain (ICOG): proceed as per Member of a professional association outside Canada.
  3. You are from a jurisdiction without professional licensure and your employer requires you to practice a short time in Québec on a specified project: proceed to Request a Special Authorization.

If none of the three statements above describes your situation, please return to the Admission page so as to identify the procedure appropriate to your situation.

If you were not sure about choosing to request a Special Authorization  OR  a seeking Membership, read Special Authorization Vs Membership.


Member of a Canadian professional association

A Member of one a Canadian professional association of Geoscientists (APEGA, APEGBC, APEGM, APEGNB, APGNS, APGO, APEGS, PEGNL, or NAPEG)  may apply for Membership by fulfilling administrative requirement using Form A4.

APGO members

Under a 2002 Ontario-Québec agreement, Members of APGO may obtain a Special authorization for a short period (up to 3 months) at no cost. Alternatively, APGO Members may become registered with OGQ with a dues reduction for up to three years.

Member of a professional association outside Canada

If you hold a legal authorization to practice geology either in the United States (member state of ASBOG), Italy (member province of CNG), Spain (ICOG) or South Africa (SACNASP), you may ask for a Geologist Permit by completing administrative requirements with Form A.

Special Authorization

If you do not intend to set up professional practice in Québec and plan for a limited professional contribution to a project in Québec, you may Request a Special Authorization.

Documents to be provided

  • Completed application Form with photo signed and dated
  • Detailed Resume
  • Copy of birth certificate or passport
  • Proof of professional liability insurance may be required

Confirmation of your status will be obtained from your home association

Processing time

Geologist's Permit: a person licensed with another professional association should allow a minimum of four (4) weeks for issuance of a Geologist’s Permit after all relevant documentation has been received; a person with no prior professional licence should allow a minimum of three months.

Special Authorization: a Special Authorization may be issued within one of submission if all requirements are fulfilled.

Important Notes:

  1. No request will be processed before payment of specified fees has been received.
  2. Registration is required for you to have the right to practice. The Permit is not a professional license but is a necessary condition for you to become licensed to practice. You will receive an invitation to register including a declaration form and dues statement at the time of issuance of your Permit.
  3. If you cannot meet the French language requirements, a Temporary Permit will be issued to you. This Permit is issued for one year and can be renewed up to three times while you attempt to pass French language tests to allow for a Geologist Permit.